Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A fragrant coloured rice with the delicate distinctive flavour of saffron. if you do not have saffron use turmeric as a substitute. Cheap saffron works but more is needed. Great with any curry.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 4 green cardamom pods, bruised
- cinnamon stick
- 250 g basmati rice
- 500 ml water or 500 ml stock
- Warm fat in a large pan. Add cinnamon, cardamon. Fry until fragrant.
- Add rice and fry until covered and translucent.
- Crush or pound saffron to release flavors.
- Meanwhile bring saffron and water/stock in milk pan. When nearly boiling ad to rice. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes.
This rice is beautiful on the plate- but really lacks in flavor. At the least, add some salt, if I were to make again, I'd likely add garlic and onions as well.
This was a very mildly flavored rice. I did sub 1t of tumeric for the saffron. The dish has a very pretty yellow color, but needs some tiny something to perk up the flavor a bit. Thank you for sharing your recipe.