Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delicious and healthier version of saag paneer (palak paneer) that uses tofu rather than cheese. The Indian spices lend a lot of flavour to the tofu. From "EatingWell Magazine".
- 1 (14 ounce) packagewater-packed firm tofu, drained
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 lb Baby Spinach
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt or 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut tofu into thirds lengthwise and eighths crosswise. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring gently every 2 to 3 minutes, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds and cook until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add spinach in batches small enough to fit in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until all the spinach has been added and has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, curry powder, cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with the tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.