Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Lovely German family recipe. This side dish will last for several days. Make sure you prepare ahead of time, as it needs to mingle flavors for at least 24 hours before serving. Serve along side rouladen and brown rice. Yum! One of our Christmas (or anytime) favorites.
- 6 lbs red cabbage (about 2 medium heads)
- 4 -5 lemons, juice of
- 8 cloves (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 apples, any kind peeled and sliced thin
- 12 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Saute onions and bacon until light brown in same pot (don't drain bacon grease).
- Wash and shred cabbage fairly thin. Put on top of bacon and onions in pot. Pot will be full--cabbage will shrink. Add rest of cabbage to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer on low in covered pot for 2 hours, stirring often so it won't burn.
- Best if made one day in advance. Allow to cure for no less than 24 hours in refrigerator before serving.
This is a delicious way to eat cabbage. Lightly sweet, it has a nice balance of spices. I cut the recipe in half and it still made a lot. I froze the leftovers in sidedished sized bags. They defrost easily in the microwave for a quick addition to your meal. The author is right: this dish is best if allowed to cure for 24 hours after making it. It is even better the next day.