Recipe by rpgaymer
"The recipe for these savory pickles is based on one that appears in Pickled: Preserving a World of Tastes and Traditions by Lucy Norris; it was contributed by Sophia Vinokurau, the owner of M & I International Foods in Brooklyn, New York." - Saveur
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
- 5 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch dill, roots trimmed
- 8 cups water
- 2 lbs watermelon, rind left on & cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonreactive bowl or pot, stir together salt, sugar, pickling spices, cayenne, vinegar, garlic, celery, dill, and 8 cups water until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Submerge the watermelon wedges.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 week and up to 2 weeks before serving.