Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Using dark rum is recommended.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 cup sweet butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons unpacked light brown sugar
- Soak raisins in rum for 2-3 hours or overnight to soften them; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°; place 18 paper baking cups in muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all the cupcake ingredients (butter through eggs) and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and pale, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in raisins; spoon batter into cups; bake for about 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are in the oven, combine the syrup ingredients in a saucepan; over low heat, dissolve the sugar in the rum.
- Simmer 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Remove pan from oven; with a toothpick, prick 5 holes in each cupcake and pour the warm syrup over them.
- Then remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack.