Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Red garlic sauce. This is a great, very rich, sauce. Wonderful for Steak de Burgo. For the stock, substitute 1 T demiglace or 1/4 tsp glace de viand. I use Toby Germain's basic recipe, #70198. Panko can be substituted for the bread crumbs. This takes some work, but is worth the time and effort.
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 18 fresh basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs or 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons stock, hot
- 3 egg yolks, beaten until well blended
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and peeled
- 1 cup olive oil
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic until it's a thick puree. (Don't use a food processor, it incorporates air.).
- Add salt, pound into a paste.
- Add herbs, continue to mash.
- Add bread crumbs and stock, mash until fully incorporated.
- When all ingredients are indistinguishable, transfer to a heavy bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, incorporate by mashing and stirring, in turn.
- Add the red pepper, mashing and stirring.
- Beat all together until sticky.
- Continue beating, adding oil in a thin stream. (At this point a food processor is handy, or a stand mixer.).
- When the oil is all added, the result should be a thick, heavy sauce, almost like a mayonniase or aioli.
- Season to taste with hot sauce, salt and pepper.