Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Ahhhhhh! Ross Burden is my favorite BBC Ready Steady Cook chef, so easy on the eyes. This is one of my favorite recipes in his collection, so easy on the palate...
- 4 pointed cabbage leaves
- 140 g long grain rice, cooked
- 30 g fresh coriander
- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 red chile, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Half fill a medium saucepan with water.
- Season with salt and bring to the boil.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes.
- Drain and refresh the cabbage leaves under cold water to retain the colour.
- Cut out the thick end of each cabbage leaf stalk.
- In a blender, blend together the coriander, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, lime zest and juice and 1 teaspoon of the soy sauce.
- Transfer the coriander mixture into a bowl and fold in the rice.
- Divide the rice mixture between the four cabbage leaves.
- Fold in the sides of each cabbage leaf, then roll them up ensuring all the filling is enclosed.
- Secure with a cocktail stick if necessary.
- Place the stuffed cabbage leaves, join side down in a microwave proof dish.
- Pour the remaining soy sauce and sesame oil over the stuffed cabbage leaves.
- Microwave on High for 45 minutes.
I loved the idea of how this is presented. Made it for lunch this afternoon as a side dish and dad said it was quite nice except for the lime rind which gave this dish a bitter taste. I used 1 whole onion(small sized) and 1/2 a tbsp. of soy sauce. Also, I served some of the rice with a lentil curry and yoghurt. That tasted wonderful!