Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love these cookies. My grandmother got the recipe from her niece (Rosa) years ago. I don't think I have ever gone to visit her without these being presented along with coffee after a meal. The chocolate taste is subtle and there are hints of almond flavour.
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- icing sugar (for coating the cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Melt the chocolate and set it aside to cool.
- Beat eggs, oil, and sugar together.
- Add ground almonds, lemon rind and baking powder. Blend well.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Add flour slowly until all of it has been added and until dough is fully blended.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to make dough easier to work with.
- Form into 1/2 tablespoon-sized balls (I do them slightly smaller) and roll them in the icing sugar until fully coated.
- Place on the cookie sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes.