Recipe by Chef Johnsonville
I found this on the Rosarita Vegetarian Refried Beans can that was destined for boring burritos. I love Chile Rellenos at Mexican restaurants. While I've never duplicated Chile Rellenos at home, I have tried the casserole version. Let's just say that they were less than stellar and took more work than I wanted do. I added a layer of chopped onions about 1/4 of a large onion since it was prepared for the burrito, plus a layer of salsa verde (medium heat) since my husband loves the heat. Although the ingredients call for Pepper Jack, I prefer Monterey Jack. This makes a great meatless meal in barely any time.
Top Review by mama smurf
I fixed this recipe with Recipe#363728#363728 and Recipe#154373#154373. I followed the directions completely except I did have some whole green chilies in the fridge so I mixed the beans, onions and salsa together then put the whole green chilies (cut in half) over the bean mixture then topped with the egg mixture and cheese. It was a delicious dish and I will be making this again. Made for Fall Pick a Chef 2009.
- Pam cooking spray
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) canrosarita vegetarian refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄3 cup salsa verde
- 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk egg yolks in separate bowl; fold into egg whites.
- Add Flour into eggs until just combined.
- Fold in green chilies.
- Spread beans over bottom of dish.
- Layer chopped onions over beans and make sure to get sides.
- Spread layer of salsa verde, smoothing into the sides. OR.
- Mix all the beans, onions and salsa verde together.
- Top with half of the egg mixture, spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese, then remaining egg mixture and remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until golden brown.