This is an old stand by for me, its quick and easy and can be served as a main dish or side dish. Its great with a nice middle eastern salad and a side of yoghurt and also goes well with baked lamb or roasts.This is a great potluck dish as well.Seasoning are approximate, you can adjust to suit your tastes.
- 5 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground lamb or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- seasoning, are to taste
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt (more if desired) or 1 tablespoon salt (more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup diced red pepper (for color) (optional)
- Set cooked rice aside.
- In a pot combine onions,chopped garlic,seasonings and ground meat and brown, try to keep the meat from forming large clumps, you want it taco meat in consistency, so keep stirring often.
- Once its almost brown add drained can of chick peas and let meat brown.
- When meat is browned drain any remaining fat from pan and add rice and stir until well blended.
- Enjoy-- (variation to it can be to substitute chick peas for mixed can of mixed veggies).