Oh yeah, baby! Your favorite childhood drink in a cookie form! A great novelty cookie, especially good for root beer lovers (like moi!)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons root beer extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon root beer extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1 cup butter, buttermilk and eggs, 2 teaspoons root beer extract and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour baking soda and salt.
- Beat on low speed until dough forms.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonful 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl combine frosting ingredients beat at low speed of electric mixer until smooth.
- Spread frosting on evenly over cookies.
- Let dry completely before storing in container.
- Makes 5 dozen cookies.
What a fun cookie! I halved the recipe and still ended up with alot! I served these at my ladies Bible study group and they were devoured in no time! Everyone loved the fact that they were so different for the ordinary. The cookies held their "drop" shape while they baked, so if you are planning to ice them I would recommend rolling them into balls and flattening slightly. However these cookies are super even without the added icing! Thanks for sharing this fun treat!
These cookies are very good. Soft and chewy the way a good cookie should be.:) The only thing I would say is to make a double batch of the frosting. One batch did not quite cover all and with double you can put on a little extra. Very yummy.
What a delicious, unexpected flavor! Zatarains makes root beer extract and sells it online for much less than other vendors, so I ordered some for this recipe and am I ever glad I did! Mine ended up crisp, but as Pamela said they do hold their drop shape unless you flatten them out... we enjoyed them as is. I actually tripled the frosting recipe in order to cover all of the cookies, and boy are they delicious. I can't wait to share them with others and get their reaction... the flavor is such a wonderful surprise! Thanks so much for this outstanding recipe!!! Dianne