Recipe by Autism Mommy
You will not believe how good these are! If you tell no one what they are, they will completely be devoured while the whole time you hear "What is in these? Cinnamon? Chocolate? Molasses?" Then you tell them exactly what they are and you are guaranteed "Oh my gosh, you're right! That's it! It's root beer!" Then what always comes next is "I need this recipe!!!" So, because I'm sick of handing out the recipe, here it is for everyone. *Root Beer Extract/Concentrate is often hard to find, but you can order it online from Zatarains if you can't find it by all the other extracts in your grocery store.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Autism Mommy, this is one great cookie. So differant from the usual ones found on so many Christmas trays. Easy to follow directions and soooo good, couldn't keep DH out of them so finally had to hide them away so that there'd be some left for the cookie trays. I just know these will be a great hit with kids and adults alike. Thanks for a recipe that is bound to be a favorite around this house. Just an update, these where the hit of the cookie tray - everyone was trying to figure out what that extra something was and asking for the recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons root beer extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons half-and-half (add more if needed to get frosting like consistency)
- 4 teaspoons root beer extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar, brown sugar, butter, buttermilk, eggs, root beer extract and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat at low speed until soft dough forms.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For Frosting:
- Combine all ingredients.
- Beat at low speed until well combined and smooth.
- Spread frosting evenly on cookies and allow to dry completely before storing.