1/2 Photos of Romantic Rosemary or Lavender Bread
4 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from Gourmet magazine. I have had this one in my files for ages and decided to share. This is a great choice for a dinner party or a romantic meal. I tried this with dried herbs and used half the amount when fresh was not available (Herbes de Provence is also a nice choice - again, using half the amount as the fresh). Prep time includes 30 minutes of actual prep work and the rest of the time is rising time. This makes two round loaves, about 10 slices per loaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water (120F)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary or 1/4 cup fresh lavender blossoms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)
- yellow cornmeal, as needed
- coarse salt, for sprinkling on loaves (optional)
- spray bottle filled with cold water, for spritzing loaves
- 1Combine yeast and lukewarm water until well blended and let sit about 10 minutes- it should look foamy and thick (if your water was too hot or your yeast is bad, it will not get foamy and you'll need to start over).
- 2Combine buttermilk, oil, rosemary (or lavender), 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp salt in a mixer bowl, then add the yeast mixture and combine well.
- 3Add flour gradually, beating slowly until enough flour has been added to form a dough ball that leaves the sides of the bowl in one mass.
- 4Dump any remaining flour onto a flat surface, dump dough onto that surface, and with floured hands knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes.
- 5Set dough into a large greased bowl, flip dough over to grease both sides, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in bulk- about 1 1/2 hours.
- 6On dough has risen, place dough onto a floured surface and cut into equal halves and form each half into a round loaf shape.
- 7Set loaves onto a large greased baking sheet dusted with cornmeal.
- 8Cover with a clean, slightly damp towel and let rise 1 hour.
- 9Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 10Using a serrated knife, slash the top of each loaf with an asterisk (*) pattern and sprinkle each with a little coarse salt (optional).
- 11Bake in center of the preheated oven for 15 minutes, spritzing occasionally (at least 2-3 times).
- 12Continue baking another 45-55 minutes (no more spritzing) or until the loaves sounds hollow when rapped on the bottom and they appear golden brown.
- 13Let cool on racks completely.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Romantic Rosemary or Lavender Bread
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.8
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.4 mg
- Sodium 479.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 5.0 g