1/1 Photo of Romanian Sarmale, Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
1 hr 30 mins
A traditional Romanian dish that it's on everyone's table at Christmas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the cabbage leaves one by one, cut them in half if they are too big and remove the stork.
- 2Chop the onion and carrot and fry them in a bit of oil with the rice.
- 3Mix the mince meat with the egg, fried onion, the slice of bread and a pinch of salt(be careful not to put a lot of salt because the sour cabbage is already salted).
- 4Place a tbsp of meat on the cabbage leaf and roll it tight then push the ends in with your finger.
- 5Chop the rest of the cabbage you didn't use sprinkling half of it on the bottom of the pan then add the tomato paste and sliced bacon.
- 6Put the cabbage rolls in the pan.
- 7Cover the cabbage rolls with water then sprinkle the bael leaves, peppercorns and the rest of the chopped cabbage.
- 8Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 1 hour or until the cabbage it's softened.
- 9Serve with mamaliga and a chilly.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Romanian Sarmale, Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1856 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.1
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.9 mg
- Sodium 72.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 4.0 g