Recipe by Cristina Barry
Food Diary of a Foodie
Top Review by CulinaryExplorer
This was really simple and tasted great! I had my DH whip this up and we used anchovy paste rather than fillets which also helped cut down the work. We also topped the salad with some Recipe #239502 and parmesan. EXCELLENT!
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 flat anchovy fillet (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (12 cups loosely packed)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound garlic with salt to as smooth a paste as possible with mortar and pestle.
- Add anchovies and pound to a paste.
- Add lemon juice and stir vigorously with pestle to incorporate.
- Add oil in a very slow trickle, stirring vigorously with pestle to incorporate, and continue to stir vigorously until dressing is smooth.
- Toss romaine with dressing in a large bowl and grind pepper over it.
- COOKS' NOTE: If you don't have a mortar and pestle, mince garlic, then mash to a paste with salt using flat side of a large heavy knife. Add anchovies and mash into paste with knife. Whisk together anchovy paste and lemon juice in a small bowl, then add oil in a very slow stream, whisking until combined well.