Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This quick and easy salad from the World's Healthiest Foods site combines some of my absolute favorite ingredients. It tastes so good, and is good for you too! You can save time by buying pre-chopped, bagged romaine lettuce.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, outside leaves discarded
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 small avocado, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Remove outer leaves of lettuce heads and discard. Cut off tops of leaves and discard. (Tops are bitter.)
- Chop remaining inner leaves. Rinse in cold water, and dry (this will keep the flavor of the salad from getting diluted).
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss with salad greens, red bell pepper, tomato and avocado chunks. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts if desired.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Yum--I love the combination of avocado and walnut here! So good. I subbed some cucumber and radishes for the red bell pepper since I had them on hand, but I imagine the red pepper would be out of this world. The dressing was a bit "bright" for DH's tastes, but I thought it was nice. This makes a TON of salad, and since I served it as a side we definitely had leftovers. Next time I will not toss all the salad with the dressing, as the leftovers were a bit soggy (but still good!). Thanks for posting! Made for Went to Market tag.
This was a light and tasty accompianment to pasta. Thanks for sharing!