Prep 2 hrs
Cook 5 mins
A delicious recipe for soft sugar cookies.
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the shortening, sugar and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy and add the milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- Add the baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Slowly add the flour until you have a soft dough (it should take about 4 1/2 cups flour, but might take more depending on humidity).
- Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface (this is why the dough should be soft because it will absorb a lot of flour when rolled) roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut and bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 5-6 minutes (cookies will not look done).
- Ice with "Versatile Icing" and let harden.