Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a Pillsbury cookbook. Great for the holidays.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- colored crystal sugar, if desired
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 -3 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- In large bowl, mix 1 cup sugar, the butter, 3 tablespoons milk, vanilla and egg until well-blended.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until mixed.
- Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 400*.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out 1/3 of the dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Keep remaining dough refrigerated.
- Cut with floured 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- If not using glaze, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 5 to 9 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.
- Cool completely about 15 minutes.
- To prepare glaze: In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and enough milk with spoon until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread glaze over cookies.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
great recipe and very easy. I mixed red food coloring into half of it, rolled it out and rolled it up with the white. sliced them up and they look like little pin wheels very cute!