Recipe by seesko
My Mom got this off the back of a frozen bread dough bag years ago. This is the original recipe. Each cook in my family has modified the filling to fit their taste. (For example, My aunt leaves out teh spinach, my sister adds pepperoni, but I like it as is with some shredded mozzerala added on top.)
Top Review by oceansdust
This was easier to make than I thought it would be. Instead of using frozen bread dough, I made my own dough and used Philadelphia Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese to increase the flavour of the filling.
- 1 lb loaf frozen bread dough
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 0.5 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw bread dough according to package directions.
- Whip cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add ricotta. Mix well and set aside.
- Saute ground beef, onion, and garlic. Drain well. Add tomato paste and seasonings. set aside.
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and squeeze dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 10 x 15 inch retangle.
- Spread with cheese mixture, leaving a on inch border. Spread spinach over cheese. Top with ground beef mixture.
- Roll up tightly, starting with the 15 inch side. Pinch to seal ends and seam.
- Place on greased baking sheet, seam side down.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Place 3-4 cuts in the top of the roll. Cover and let rise at room temprerature 20-30 minutes.].
- remove cover and bake in preheated oven at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with spaghetti sauce.