Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found this in my scrappy recipes folder in my Dad's handwriting - it's a mystery as to where he snaffled it from..This sounds a lot like something a friend of mine served at one of those home shopping party things and it was delicious so..give it a go, let me know if it didn't work for you! Amended Mar 07 ; I made this for the 1st time - it makes 8 very large rolls, great flavour from yoghurt and feta! These took at least 20 mins to cook in my ( very dodgy) oven, so keep checking. Also it doesn't work to sub wheat flour for plain, they are a little too dense. Plain flour makes them light and puffy.
- 4 cups plain unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 500 ml yoghurt
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese, try cheddar
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh oregano
- Heat oven to 210C degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt.
- Put yoghurt in a bowl & add above gradually, stirring as you go. Continue adding til you have a soft but not sticky dough ( may not need all the flour ).
- On lightly foured board, knead for 5 minutes til soft. Cut into 8 pieces, roll in balls & cover with a tea towel.
- Mix all the filling ingredients, then roll out each piece of dough to a dinner plate size.
- Place 1/8th of the mix in centre of each piece, gather edges of dough to centre to enclose filling and pinch well.
- Flip bread over and flatten it to about 1cm thick, put on lightly oiled baking dish, and into hot oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Scoff once brown.