This rich, gooey, cake from Southern Living is "baked" in a slow cooker. It's best served warm. Topping with chocolate or vanilla ice cream is a nice touch, but not necessary because the cake is so rich!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄4 cups milk, divided
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagechocolate cook-and-serve pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Beat cake mix, next 5 ingredients, and 1 1/4 cups milk at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Pour batter into a lightly greased 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Cook remaining 2 cups milk in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or just until bubbles appear (do not boil); remove from heat.
- Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour hot milk over pudding. Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat pecans in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle cake with pecans, marshmallows, and chocolate morsels. Let stand 15 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted.
- Spoon into dessert dishes, and serve with ice cream, if desired.
Awesome recipe! Came out very moist and yummy. Even better warmed up the next day. This was a hit at our dinner party. Very quick and easy to make. I used a 6 qt crock because I didn't have a 4 and it still turned out amazing.
Great recipe! It turned out perfect, but I cooked it for an additional hour.
This was so good, it almost made me cry. I didn't have any pecans or any other nut for that matter, but it was still an awesome cake. I made it about a month ago and my stepdaughter still talks about it.