Recipe by coconutty
Posted here for safekeeping, from an old newspaper clipping. I haven't tried this yet.
Top Review by NotoriusReformer
This simple recipe was fantastic! I substituted a few ingredients. I didn't have fresh basil so I added dried basil with the sour cream, I used a quarter cup of chicken broth for a kick and garlic instead of shallots. Very full flavour and it filled the house with such a great smell. I would say that it's enough soup for two because it's very light.
- 4 large shallots
- 6 yellow sweet peppers
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, julienned
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap each shallot in foil and roast at 400°F for 30 minutes.
- Place all peppers on a cutting board. Slice off sides into 4 sections.
- Arrange peppers skin-side-up on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Broil 6 inches from heat until skins blacken.
- Transfer to a paper bag; seal tightly. Slip off skins when cool enough to handle.
- Puree red pepper in food processor or blender; set aside.
- Puree yellow peppers with roasted shallots.
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a 2-quart pot.
- Add peppers and shallots. Heat through. Can be made 2 days ahead up to this point and refrigerated.
- Reheat until very hot. Stir in yogurt but do not let it boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with small dollop of red pepper puree and basil.