Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
You've guessed it...another browned butter recipe. I just can't help myself. Should be categorized as dessert.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium winter squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (butternut, acorn, etc.)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 medium fresh sage leaves, sliced thin
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- brown sugar
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Brush the oil on the foil and the cut sides of the squash.
- Roast until a skewer inserted in the squash meets no resistance, about 40-50 minutes.
- When the squash is almost done, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sage and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the butter is golden brown and the sage is crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Remove the squash from the oven and turn cut-side up and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle or brush with the sage butter sauce and sprinkle with brown sugar. Serve immediately.