These vegetables are made extra yummy by roasting them. It emphasizes the sweetness of the vegetables, and cooking at a high heat seals in the flavor and carmelizes the vegetables. This is wonderful with ham!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3⁄4 lb turnip, peeled and cut into 1/1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano or 1 tablespoon marjoram, fresh and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Arrange vegetables in a single layer in a large roasting pan or broiler pan.
- Roast at 450° for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned, stirring gently every 10 minutes. Stir in herbs and salt just before serving.