Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I got this recipe from my sister, but have changed it to suit us. Great as a side dish for beef, lamb, or oven roasted salmon. Good vegan dish too. You can discard the garlic, or squeeze it over the vegetables as we do.
- 4 small beetroots, trimmed and scrubbed
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 2 small turnips, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 bunch dutch baby carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 6 tiny onions
- 12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped,to garnish
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard (I used lemon and dill)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wrap the beetroot together in foil (like a package) and place in a 190c oven for 20 minutes.
- Place the remaining ingredients (except the chopped parsley) in a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, and season to taste.
- Place in the oven with the beeroot parcel and cook for 1 hour more, or until tender.
- Cool the vegetables slightly, then peel the beetroot and tiny onions-quarter the beetroot.
- Toss all vegetables together gently, then serve on a platter with the dressing drizzled over, scatter with chopped fresh parsley.
- Good with beef, lamb or oven roasted salmon.
- HORSERADISH CREAM:.
- Combine garlic, horseradish and mustard.
- Gradually whisk in oil and vinegar.
- Season to taste.
No way this is enough for 4, the 2 of us wolfed it down just like that! No left overs! Delicious! I did sub parsnips for the turnips and used grated horseradish from a tube, rather than horseradish sauce. Other than that, no changes. Very, very good!
Oh, yum! This turned out great. I love roasted veggies already but this sauce really kicked it up a notch. I used all of the roasted garlic in the sauce but left out the olive oil as we are not used to eating that much oil. I don't think that hurt the recipe at all. We just sprayed the veggies with olive oil spray and didn't use any in the sauce but added a bit of water so it would coat all the veggies. The horseradish was not that strong- just enough to give it a little kick. Thanks for posting, I would make it again. Made for the vegetarian/ vegan recipe swap.
this is a great and flexible recipe. i used this method instead of boiling my veggies to go with the obligatory st. pat's corned beef. took the cabbage, potatoes, onions and carrots and roasted them and used this dressing. this was loads better than the traditional veg!