Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
from Bon Appetit, December 2006. A great addition to a Christmas Dinner Menu.
- 12 medium plum tomatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces piece Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1 bunch watercress, thick stems trimmed
- Cut tomatoes lengthwise in half; remove seeds and membranes. Place tomatoes, cut side down, on platter; let drain 15 minutes. Mix pepper, salt, and rosemary in large bowl. Add 6 tablespoons olive oil and garlic and whisk to blend. Add tomato halves and toss to coat. Let marinate 15 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F Brush large rimmed baking sheet with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange tomato halves, cut side up, on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle any oil mixture remaining in bowl over tomatoes. Roast until tomatoes are slightly softened and browned on bottoms and around edges, about 65 minutes. Arrange tomatoes on platter; sprinkle with crumbled cheese. DO AHEAD Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover tomatoes loosely and let stand at room temperature.
- Tuck watercress in between tomatoes. Serve warm or at room temperature.