Recipe by evelyn/athens
Wonderful with all sorts of meats. If it's summer, and the tomatoes are truly good, I could make a meal out of just this, some bread and wine. This also works great as an appetizer.
Top Review by Lorac
Excellent! The breadcrumb topping is a lovely balance of flavors. Parmesan, garlic and herbs enhanced by the addition of balsamic vinegar. Off season, I buy "on the vine" tomatoes and put them in a dark cupboard for several days to ripen. I made the recipe using 6 medium size tomatoes but had enough crumbs for 8 medium. Fresh picked summer tomatoes would make this dish "over the top" delicious!
- 4 excellent tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons green chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut tomatoes in half, place them in a buttered baking pan just large enough to hold them, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper over them.
- Melt butter and stir in balsamico.
- Mix dried ingredients.
- Pour melted butter into mix.
- Stir until coated with butter.
- Spoon onto cut side of tomatoes, distributing evenly.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until tops are golden.