Recipe by mary winecoff
This recipe is not for the faint of heart. This is a VERY HOT sauce. Great for chips. Use caution when handling the habanero chilies. From Fast, Fresh and Spicy Vegetarian, by John Ettinger.
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
I loved this roasted sauce. So much better then you can ever buy or even get in a restaurant. I halved this recipe, using 3 large roma tomatoes and 1 habanero pepper. Reduced the oil lightly on the tomatoes and habanero. I also roasted a small onion right along side of the habanero so when I pulsed it in my blender it was all combined and beautifully too. This is really great, and I bottled the rest of the sauce to sit inside my fridge just waiting for me to use on the next chip. Terrific mary! Thanks! Made for *SSC Pet Parade*
- 6 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 habanero peppers, halved and seeded
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- .Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place tomatoes in a roasting pan and rub with most of the olive oil. Bake for 1 hour, stir gently once to prevent sticking. Rub peppers with some oil and add to the tomatoes.
- Return to the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, stir, then bake another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove, place in a blender with the onion, water and vegetable oil, and puree. Stir in cilantro and salt.