Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Fitness Magazine, February 2006. This soup can be prepared with just about any variety of squash and pear. The squash skin is used in a resourceful way to make a stock for this recipe. I didn't realize how many hardcore squash lovers there are on Zaar until I checked the recipe database!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs winter squash, halved, seeded, then cut into thirds (reserve seeds and skin)
- 3 pears, ripe and firm, quartered, seeded, and stems removed
- 2 inches chunk fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- white pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F Arrange the cut up squash and pears on a large roasting pan with most of the fresh ginger slices.
- Brush the mixture with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with a bit of salt. Bake 1 hour or until tender, turn occasionally.
- Remove roasting pan from oven. Scrape the flesh from the squash and reserve the skin. You will need about 2 cups of squash skin.).
- Add 1 cup of water to the roasting pan and let sizzle. With a spatula, scrape up the browned bits. Transfer this mixture to a small bowl and reserve.
- In a pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add the seeds, and then the squash skins, ginger and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Reduce heat and simmer, pot covered, for 20-25 minutes.
- While the stock is simmering, in a large soup pot over medium heat, warm the remaining oil. Cook the onion until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Next add the pears, ginger, squash and the reserved deglazing liquid from the roasting pan.
- Strain the stock and add to the soup pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer about 25 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning and season with white pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream if you wish.
This recipe is time consuming, but it's worth it! You can really taste the roasted-ness. Personally, I didn't see the need to make the broth, but the soup was excellent.