Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa), great, hearty, vegetarian soup. My husband, who won't eat meatless meals, raves about this soup.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Saute the chopped onions and chopped fennel with 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large stockpot on medium heat until translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted potatoes (including scrapings from the pan) and the stock.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, until all the vegetables are very soft.
- Add the heavy cream and allow the soup to cook slightly.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup in the pot (this can also be done in a regular blender, food processor, or food mill).
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Reheat and serve hot.
Very good recipe! Tasted superb. Enormous portion though.
There really is no question this is a five star soup, it's really delicious and hearty! I am on Weight Watchers so I used Fat Free half & half instead of the cream. I agree with the previous poster that this soup can be halved due to the huge pot I ended up with since I made the whole thing! For a half portion I would use 3 lbs of potatoes, 1 1/2 large Spanish onions and one large fennel bulb. If you make bacon as a topper you can put your slices in the oven and bake them in a small rectangular pan along with the potatoes, I did 6 strips at 400 degrees for 17 minutes and it was perfect! I will use fat free shredded cheddar but my family will use regular cheese and of course the bacon on top. Perfect fall meal when paired with a nice loaf of fresh baked bread and a green salad!
This was yummy. I cut the recipe in half and used one fennel bulb that we got from our CSA. I also added some cooked potato chunks after blending the soup. Also didn't have cream and just used milk, but that was fine. And of course, topped it with cheese and bacon. What's not to like about bacon! Husband and both boys really liked this soup.