Caramelized Onions (Ina Garten Barefoot Contessa)
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 lbs yellow onions, peeled and sliced in half-rounds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large shallow pot, add onions and thyme and toss with the oil.
- Place the lid on top and cook over medium low heat for about 10 minutes to sweat the onions. Remove the lid and continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally for 25 to 30 minutes, until t he onions are caramlized and golden brown. This could take much longer than 30 minutes, if your stove top is on a very low setting. If the onions are cooking too fast, lower the heat. Don't rush the process. It is worth the wait.
- Add the sherry wine vinegar, salt and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes, scraping the brown bits from the pan. Season to taste. They should be highly seasoned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I make this all the time to go with steak, grilled veggies or as a base for dips and cream sauces. Always delicious, I end up adding rosemary and oregano and sometimes basil as well. Fresh herbs when I can but works fine with dried as well. You can also add in peppers to carmelize as well. So good. 5 stars every time
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am married and mother to an adult son, two rescue dogs; a small pug mix and a young Yorkshire Terrier. I prefer baking to cooking. I have a wonderful husband who will clean-up after I do the cooking.