Recipe by Sharon123
This sandwich is great with gooey cheese and juicy, meaty mushrooms, layered between deliciously crispy, toasted bread.
Top Review by CountryLady
A must try for the mushroom lover! I used recipe #49909 for the pesto, served open faced on thick slices of French bread & cooked entirely in the oven. I don't like hot tomato, so I omitted the slices. Thanx Sharon!
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 slices ripe tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Rub mushrooms with olive oil and vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms flesh side down on a baking tray and roast for 10-12 minutes, or until soft.
- Thinly slice mushrooms once cooled.
- Do not turn off oven.
- Spread pesto on all 8 pieces of bread.
- Divide mozzarella on 4 pieces of bread.
- Put tomato slices on top of cheese.
- Place portobello slices on top of tomato and put remaining 4 slices of bread on top to complete sandwiches.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Melt margarine.
- Add sandwiches, two at a time, and cook until browned on one side (place a heavy object on each sandwich to help it brown evenly).
- Turn over and brown the other side.
- Each side should take 2-3 minutes to brown.
- Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and finish cooking in the oven for 5 minutes.