Easy Lasagna With Pepperoni
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for oiling dish
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (from a 28-oz can)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (or a mixture) or 8 ounces provolone cheese (or a mixture)
- 6 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 80 small pepperoni slices (about 7 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in boiling, salted water 8-9 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes and oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a light simmer then reduce the heat and cook slowly, covered, 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool 10 minutes (or place the sauce in a sealable container and refrigerate until ready to use—in a few hours or overnight).
- Stir together the ricotta, parsley, and tarragon in a small bowl.
- To assemble the lasagna, lightly oil a 13 X 9-inch baking dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the tomato marinara in the bottom of the dish and top it with 4 noodles, slightly overlapping. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta-herb mixture over the noodles, then scatter 1/3 of the mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover the cheeses with 40 slices of pepperoni (5 rows of 8 pieces).
- Place 4 more lasagna noodles on top and spread with 1/2 of the remaining tomato sauce and the remaining 1/2 of the ricotta-herb mixture. Scatter another 1/3 of the mozzarella and 2 more tablespoons of Parmesan cheese on top. Cover with the remaining 40 slices of pepperoni.
- Lay the last 4 noodles on top and spread with the remaining tomato sauce. Scatter the remaining 1/3 of the mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese on top and sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Bake uncovered until the cheese is bubbly and the top begins to brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove and let rest 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut the lasagna into 6 pieces and serve.
Join The Conversation
Pepperoni isn’t just for pizza. Layered between sheets of lasagna with creamy, gooey cheese and a simple crushed tomato marinara, this humble little sausage adds a spicy, peppery, and very flavorful bite to the baked pasta classic. Many recipes call for additional meat—ground beef, other sausages, and such. Here, I used only pepperoni so the full flavor comes through without being hidden behind other ingredients. It also makes this one of the easiest, quickest lasagnas you’ll ever put together. Not much cooking at all. Note: This recipe uses a total of 80 small pepperoni slices (the regular kind at the deli), with 40 pieces per layer in a 13 X 9-inch baking dish—about seven ounces of sausage total.