Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
All credit for this recipe goes to Stacie at ChowMama (http://www.chowmama.com), one of my favorite sources of great recipes that are compatible with little eaters!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 2 poblano peppers (or 3 if you like)
- 4 cups cooked white rice (or try brown for a healthier version)
- 1 lb low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Roast the poblano peppers. Like the author of this recipe, I hold them over the flame on the stove using tongs (or just a fork!) and keep turning them until they're blackened. I put them into a paper bag and fold it over and wait for them to cool. Then I peel the skin off which is usually not too difficult if they're fully cooled.
- Dice the poblanos.
- Preheat oven to 350. In the meantime, melt butter in a large pan. When hot, saute onions until caramelized. Add poblanos and saute 2 minutes more, until peppers and onions are well mixed.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice with the onion/poblano mix. Add cottage cheese, sour cream, and 1 1/2 c shredded cheese.
- Put seasoned rice in a buttered, oven safe casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 c shredded cheese. Bake until rice is warmed through and the cheese on top has melted and turned light brown.
Halved the recipe, which still makes plenty and used yesterday's leftover rice. Which reminds me, my husband routinely purges the refrigerator. I'm lucky to still be around.