Recipe by guatetaliana
All credit for this recipe goes to Stacie at ChowMama (http://www.chowmama.com), one of my favorite sources of great recipes that are compatible with little eaters!
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped (about 1/2 a large onion)
- 2 poblano peppers (or 3 if you like)
- 4 cups cooked white rice (or try brown for a healthier version)
- 1 lb low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the poblano peppers. Like the author of this recipe, I hold them over the flame on the stove using tongs (or just a fork!) and keep turning them until they're blackened. I put them into a paper bag and fold it over and wait for them to cool. Then I peel the skin off which is usually not too difficult if they're fully cooled.
- Dice the poblanos.
- Preheat oven to 350. In the meantime, melt butter in a large pan. When hot, saute onions until caramelized. Add poblanos and saute 2 minutes more, until peppers and onions are well mixed.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice with the onion/poblano mix. Add cottage cheese, sour cream, and 1 1/2 c shredded cheese.
- Put seasoned rice in a buttered, oven safe casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 c shredded cheese. Bake until rice is warmed through and the cheese on top has melted and turned light brown.