Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups sliced peeled bosc pears (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced peeled celeriac (celery root)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 5 cups cubed dense white bread (1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pear slices, and cook, without stirring, 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully turn pear slices; cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add sherry and brandy, and cook until liquid almost evaporates.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine all ingredients, including pears, in a large bowl, tossing gently.
- Spoon the bread mixture into a 2-quart casserole.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated.