1/1 Photo of Roasted Hummus
Here I've taken a recipe for roasted chickpeas, cooled the mixture, added tahini, etc. and finally pureed the mixture. Very important to reserve all the cooking liquid. I think I got the roasted chickpea recipe from the Sugar Solution book...??
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas (**RESERVE** liquid)
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, juice of, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2In a bowl toss the chickpeas, garlic, oil and spices.
- 3Place the mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes or until beans are slightly "crisp" and golden. Stir the beans occasionally while baking so that they roast evenly. (If the garlic looks as if it may be roasting too quickly, remove and continue baking the chickpeas).
- 4Once roasted, set beans aside to cool.
- 5In a blender combine the chickpeas, peeled roasted garlic, tahini, salt and lemon juice. Add about 1/3 cup of the reserved chickpea liquid. Blend until smooth, adding more cooking liquid if necessary to aid in blending. Stop machine and scrap down the sides with a spatula. Blend again until smooth, adding liquid as needed.
- 6Adjust seasoning. Transfer to serving bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate.
- 7When ready to serve, garnish with fresh parsley sprig. Serve the hummus with pita chips, French bread, cut up vegetables, etc.
- 8Hummus is best prepared at least 1 hour in advance, but ideally 3 hours is better.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Hummus
Serving Size: 1 (596 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.3
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 733.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 15.7 g