Recipe by Happy Harry #2
This is a nice soothing but robust pureed soup. Its' a perfect "warm me up" dish. I have never measured all the ingredients exactly, but this is how I make it.
Top Review by duonyte
What a nice soup - I used an Asian eggplant, so winged the quantities of the other ingredients. I did use smoked paprika. I placed the eggplant on the gas burner of the stove, turning it over to char the skin. This worked well and faster than doing it in the oven. It made two very nice servings using a medium sized eggplant.
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups sodium-free chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes, unpeeled and chopped*
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven rack about 10 inches from broiler.
- Broil eggplant until charred all over, turning as needed. This will take anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes depending on size of eggplant.
- Let cool, remove skin and coarsely chop.
- In medium large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute onions and garlic until soft. DO NOT LET GARLIC BURN.
- Stir in paprika,pepper,cumin,salt and eggplant.
- Turn heat to high, and stirring constantly, cook about 2 minutes.
- Pour in stock and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Puree in food processor in batches.
- Re-warm as needed. Serve with some yogurt swirled on top.
- * If using a blender instead of food processor, make sure you peel the potatoes first and puree in small batches as this is very hot.