Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Pollo alla Birra. In 'Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy' by Lidia Bastianich
Make and share this Roasted Chicken With Beer recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 medium onions, peeled, quartered through the root
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved crosswise, and quartered lengthwise (about 4 ounces)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved crosswise, and quartered lengthwise (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves
- 4 whole cloves (the spice, not garlic)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 cups light stock (chicken, turkey, or vegetable)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flavorful beer or 1 1⁄2 cups ale
- 1 cup apple cider, preferably unfiltered
- Arrange a rack in the center of the oven; reheat to 400°.
- Trim excess fat from the chicken and season it inside and out with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Scatter the onions, carrot, parsnips, sage, cloves, and cinnamon stick in a 6-quart ovenproof pot (such as an enameled cast iron pot); sprinkle over this the rest of the salt, and set the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Put the pot on the stove, pour in the stock, beer, and apple cider, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes on top of the stove.
- Put the pot in the oven, and roast the chicken for about 30 minutes, basting with the pan juices two or three times.
- Cover the chicken with a sheet of foil to prevent overbrowning, and roast another 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and roast another 20-30 minutes, basting frequently, until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken to a warm platter, and surround with the vegetables.
- Bring the pan juices to a boil on top of the stove, and cook until reduced by half.
- Carve the chicken at the table, and spoon some of the pan juices on top.