2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Pollo alla Birra. In 'Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy' by Lidia Bastianich
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2-4 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 medium onions, peeled, quartered through the root
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved crosswise, and quartered lengthwise (about 4 ounces)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved crosswise, and quartered lengthwise (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves
- 4 whole cloves (the spice, not garlic)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups light stock (chicken, turkey, or vegetable)
- 1 1/2 cups flavorful beer or 1 1/2 cups ale
- 1 cup apple cider, preferably unfiltered
- 1Arrange a rack in the center of the oven; reheat to 400°.
- 2Trim excess fat from the chicken and season it inside and out with 1 teaspoon salt.
- 3Scatter the onions, carrot, parsnips, sage, cloves, and cinnamon stick in a 6-quart ovenproof pot (such as an enameled cast iron pot); sprinkle over this the rest of the salt, and set the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- 4Put the pot on the stove, pour in the stock, beer, and apple cider, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 5Cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes on top of the stove.
- 6Put the pot in the oven, and roast the chicken for about 30 minutes, basting with the pan juices two or three times.
- 7Cover the chicken with a sheet of foil to prevent overbrowning, and roast another 30 minutes.
- 8Remove the foil, and roast another 20-30 minutes, basting frequently, until the chicken and vegetables are cooked through and tender.
- 9Remove the chicken to a warm platter, and surround with the vegetables.
- 10Bring the pan juices to a boil on top of the stove, and cook until reduced by half.
- 11Carve the chicken at the table, and spoon some of the pan juices on top.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Chicken With Beer
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.2
- Calories from Fat 246
- Total Fat 27.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 124.7 mg
- Sodium 912.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 30.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves