Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I haven't tried this as yet, but it was in the newspaper so I am posting it here for safe keeping. Makes about 2 Cups.
- 500 g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tahini
- 1⁄4 cup water (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place carrots in a roasting pan. Add ground cumin, cumin seeds and sugar. Drizzle with 1Tbsp of the olive oil.
- Mix well to coat carrots evenly with mixture.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until caramelised and soft.
- Place into a food processor. Add ginger, 1 Tbsp olive oil and tahini.
- Blend until pureed.
- Add water at this stage if you want a thinner consistency.
- Leave for several hours before serving to allow flavours to blend.
Yum what a great way to get a few carrots in the diet! I didn't have any tahini so used sesame seeds that I sprinkled over the top half-way through cooking to toast and stirred at the same time. Because I didn't have cumin seeds used 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cumin with a small amount of paprika flakes. It's really bursting with flavour and that makes it a wonderful healty snack with plain foods like celery sticks or rice crackers. I roasted for 20 minutes and used the full 1/4 cup of water which gave it a nice smooth but still firm texture.