Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These carnitas are wonderful. Delicious served as a main entree or stuffed in corn tortillas and served as tacos. Definitely good on a summer day served with my pico de gallo The Perfect Pico De Gallo.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder (cut in chunks)
- 2 cups salsa verde (canned or homemade)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 4 jalapenos (roasted, peeled, and chopped)
- 1⁄2 orange (cut in thirds)
- Trim the excess fat from the roast. Put the meat in a large casserole or Dutch oven with salsa verde, onion, stock, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, jalapenos, orange chunks, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Remove meat from liquid in pot and put the meat into a roasting pan. Remove the orange chunks and discard. Roast meat for 15 to 20 minutes until parts are brown and crispy.
- While the meat is roasting, skim and discard fat from liquid in the casserole pan. Boil juices, stirring, until reduced to 2 1/2 cups, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return the meat to the Dutch oven. Stir in chopped cilantro. Season with salt.