Modified from, "Jerusalem: A Cookbook" by Yotam Ottolenghi & Sami Tamimi. A cross-cultural recipe from a Palestinian & Jewish Israeli perspective.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 organic butternut squash, peeled and seeded (cut into 3/4 by 2 1/2-inch wedges)
- 1 medium organic onion (cut into 1 1/4-inch wedges)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons organic light tasting extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup organic tahini
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 1/4 organic lemon, juice of
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 small organic garlic clove
- 3 1/2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon homemade za'atar spice mix
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 475°F.
- 2Put squash and onion in a large mixing bowl.
- 3Add 3 Tbsp of the organic light tasting extra virgin olive oil, 1 sea salt, and a bit of black pepper, to taste. Toss well.
- 4Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 5Roast in oven for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables start to turn color around edges and are cooked through.
- 6Remove from oven.
- 7Make tahini sauce: In a small bowl, place tahini, lemon juice, water, garlic, and sea salt to taste. (I use a motor and pestle to grind the garlic to a paste. Whisk until the sauce is the consistency of honey, adding more water if necessary. If you make the sauce while the vegetables are roasting and place it in the fridge until you are ready to serve, it will most likely thicken and require a bit of water to thin.
- 8Pour remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil into a small skillet or frying pan and place over low heat. Add pine nuts and pinch sea salt and cook for approximately 2 minutes, stirring often as the nuts will turn brown all of a sudden if you look away. Remove from heat when they are a golden color. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly.
- 9To serve, spread the vegetables on a plate or platter and drizzle the tahini sauce over. Sprinkle with the pine nuts, followed by the homemade za’atar.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash With Tahini
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 760.9
- Calories from Fat 438
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 49.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 13.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
za'atar spice mix