1 hr 20 mins
The Davis Farmer’s Market is amazing. Everything’s fresh and smells good, and is in season. You can even get an entire bag of slightly deformed veggies for only $2. The Market is one of my favorite things about Davis – myboys love the kettle corn and the sunflower greens. Go figure. We found this recipe at the Market in fall 2004.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450.
- 2In a roasting pan, toss 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and seeded, cut into large chunks.
- 3Add the orange juice, dark brown sugar, and cinnamon stick.
- 4Cover and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
- 5Discard cinnamon stick, drain and set juice aside.
- 6In a heavy-bottomed stock pot place the butter, leeks, onion and apple.
- 7Cook slowly over a medium flame, stirring frequently until very tender. Do not allow to color.
- 8Add 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable bouillon. Bring to a low boil.
- 9Add squash, but not the squash juice.
- 10Cook for five minutes and add the 1/3 cup heavy cream (optional) and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 11Cool and puree with a hand blender until very smooth.
- 12Ladle puree into six warm bowls. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.9
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 43.2 mg
- Sodium 246.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 5.6 g