Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A wonderful variant of the traditional butternut squash soup. If you can get Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, they add a wonderful flavor to this soup.
- 2 butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced (white portion only)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (24 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped with
- 2 teaspoons Pernod, season with
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Place squash on a sheetpan, cut side down.
- Bake until soft (Pushing on it with a finger should leave an impression in the flesh).
- Remove flesh from the skin.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over low heat.
- Still over low heat, cook onion, leeks, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft.
- Add squash and tomatoes, cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add stock.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Puree in batches until smooth.
- Return to a clean pan and add cream.
- Heat just to a boil.