Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I really like the combination of the beets and goat cheese in this salad. If your in a rush, canned or jarred "un-pickled" sliced beets work well here too, if you don't have time to roast fresh ones. Also, this salad works well with your favorite bottled vinaigrette, if you'd rather not make it from scratch. Cook time is beet roasting time.
Top Review by OBXChef
The beets were perfect! The goat cheese makes such a creamy accompaniment to the greens! I added mandarin oranges and grape tomatoes just because I love them in a salad! I wouldn't recommend mixing this vinaigrette with arugula, it's a little "bitey". Also, the shallots are very, very strong. Just a fair warning if you're making this for a date!
- 2 large beets, unpeeled
- 2 cups red leaf lettuce or 2 cups green lettuce leaves, washed and torn into bit size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup goat cheese
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wrap beets in aluminum foil, and roast until tender, about 1 hour.
- Let the beets cool a bit, and then peel the skins while they are still a bit warm.
- Using a mandoline, or very sharp knife, cut beets into paper thin slices.
- For the vinaigrette, place all the ingredients into a bowl or blender, and whisk or blend until well combined.
- Toss the beets with half of the vinaigrette.
- Toss the greens with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Arrange the greens on a serving plate or bowl, and top with the beet slices.
- Crumble the goat cheese over top the salad, and serve.