Recipe by rillemily
The beets for executive chef Wolfgang Birk’s colorful salad come from nearby Arnold Farm. It is served at Gaylord National’s Old Hickory Steakhouse near Washington, D.C.
- 1 lb mixed yellow and red baby beets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 8 ounces arugula, thoroughly washed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350◦ F. Toss whole beets together with olive oil, chopped garlic, thyme and bay leaf on a sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 1-1/2 hours. Let cool slightly.
- Peel and cut the beets into 1/2-inch dice. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, parsley, marjoram, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, marinate the goat cheese in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Allow beets and goat cheese to rest at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, season arugula with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Top with beets and garnish with marinated goat cheese.