This is without a doubt *the* most fabulous applesauce I have ever had! It's the only apple sauce my kids will eat, The flavor is incredible! So much richer in flavor than apples that have been steamed or simmered in water. I have actually used whatever apples I happen to have in hand. Even those that are looking tired and not so crisp any more. Great with any pork or chicken entree.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray baking dish w/ non-stick spray.
- Spread apples out in a casserole pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, sugar, salt and butter. Stirring occasionally.
- Bake until the apples are roasted and soft, about 30 minutes or longer.
- UPDATE: I roast until they are tender and begin to caramelize.
- Serve chunky or mash to desired consistency.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Yields 2 cups.