Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is another good way to fix acorn squash, Plus get another vegetable(Spinach) to help get your 3 to 5 vegetables. This is an easy to make recipe. The recipe comes from Sunset.com.
- Rinse the squash and cut each in half lenghthwise: scoop out and discard seeds; Place squash halves, cut side down, in a 10-by-15 inch pan.
- Bake in a 400 degree regular or convection oven until squash is just tender when pierced, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, squeeze moisture from spinach; in a bowl, mix spinach, 3/4 cup cheese and walnuts; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With tongs or a spatula, turn squash halves over and spoon spinach mixture equally into cavities of squash; Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Return squash to oven and bake until cheese melts and filling is hot in the center, 15 to 20 minutes, Serve.
Made a few modifications after reading the other reviews but overall really liked the recipe! To increase the flavor of the filling I added chopped onion, garlic, and spices and also added some plain yogurt to address the dryness comments. To serve as a main, I added 1/2 c. of cooked brown rice and then the squash was overlowing with filling but it still looked nice. Will be making this again!
There are plenty of recipes for squash that use maple syrup, cinnamon and butter, so it's nice to see a savory recipe like this. I was able to get the stuffing into one squash. I microwaved my squash for 10 minutes and seasoned each half with salt, pepper, nutmeg and italian seasoning. To the stuffing mixture, I microplaned one clove of garlic into it and added a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Baked this for 30 mins at 300F and my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed with Cod With Onions and Chives (Kabeljau Mit Schnittlauch Zwiebeln). This is a very filling side dish that could easily be the entree. Thank you, Barb, for sharing this delicious recipe!
I think this recipe is a good start for us. I've never had acorn squash before so I didn't know what to expect. Now I know. Next time I'll kick up the flavor a little bit as I found this to be very bland. I think I'll season the actual squash better as well as add some garlic and onion to the spinach mixture. All in all it was still good and everyone is game for another try.