Recipe by Bittersweet Chef
Big enough to feed the entire family with some to spare. This calzone is a flavorful combination of grilled zucchini, artichoke heats, roasted red pepper, grilled eggplant, sundried tomatoes, and feta cheese.
- 2 lbs bread dough
- 1 cup roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato
- 2 zucchini
- 2 eggplants
- 2 mushrooms
- 1 cup artichoke heart
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- 10 -12 kalamata olives, Pits removed
- dried herbs
- poppy seed
- egg wash
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut up the vegetables in large chunks. Toss with olive oil, salt & pepper, and spread evenly on a baking tray.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Dived the fococcia dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough into a large circle that will fit your largest baking tray, approx 18 inches. Score the daough with a fork to avoid bubbling and parbake for 5 minutes in the oven. Allow to cool.
- Once the vegetables have cooled, put them in a large mixing bowl with the cheeses, and mix gently.
- Spread the vegetable/ cheese mix evenly on the parbaked fococcia round. Add a little extra cheese to the top. Egg wash the edge.
- Roll out the other half of the dough into a circle a little larger than the base. Cover the vegetables so that a little hangs over the edge. Roll up the edge of the top dough to the edge of the bottom.
- Egg Wash the top. Sprinkle with mixed herbs and poppyseeds. Place olives around the edge of the calzone for decoration.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until nice and golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Slice between the olives and serve.