Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- Have your butcher trim the short ribs from the roast. Place the meat in a dish and let it come to room temperature. Rub all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast in a preheated 450 degree F oven for 25 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degree F and roast 2 hours longer for medium-rare. Transfer the roast to a heated platter.
- Cover loosely and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- For the Au Jus: Spoon off any excess fat from the roasting pan.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of the beef juices and reserve for the Yorkshire pudding.
- Pour the beef broth into the roasting pan.
- Bring to a simmer over moderately high heat, scraping up any brown bits clinging to the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Strain the roasting juices into a heated sauce boat and serve with the roast.
The ingredients are great and the idea is sound but I think it would work best on larger roasts. I put a 3.5 lb roast in for 25 minutes at 450Âº and then 1 hour at 325Âº and checked on it and it was already overdone. It came out medium which my DH LOVED but I eat super Rare so I was a tad disappointed.