Recipe by Mercy
From Mr. Food! I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I really like cinnamon and chicken flavors together, so I may increase the cinnamon to 1 teaspoon.
Top Review by leasbookkeeping
I made this last week. It was absolutely awesome and a totally different way to cook chicken for me. Not the normal stuffed and roasted chicken. We loved it so much that I have already passed the recipe on to all three of my kids.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the onions and garlic, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Pour mixture into a 9"x13" baking dish; pour the chicken broth over the onion mixture and place the chicken on top.
- Mix together the rum, vinegar, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon, ground red pepper, and salt to make a glaze.
- Brush half the glaze over the chicken, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Drizzle the remaining glaze over the chicken and bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes.